By Michael Harris-Arzon, The Simplistic Professional
Our family loves the holidays. For most people, I think the holiday season begins with Thanksgiving. For our family, it begins with Halloween and gains momentum the closer we get to Christmas. I tend to cook massive amounts of food and baked goods, with the idea that there is always something to offer, unexpected guests, throughout the holiday season.
The type of food a guest may receive, tends to change, as I usually am testing new recipes or have a favorite ingredient that year. But, there is always one beverage on hand, to offer anyone that stops by…..Egg Nog. I must gain 5 pounds each holiday season from the egg nog alone.
- 4 Eggs
- 1 (5 Oz.) Can Sweetened
- Condensed Milk
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 4 Cups Whole Milk
- 1/8 Cup Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean or 1 Tbs. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp. Ground Ginger
- Bacardi Rum, Optional
- Take two small bowls and separate your egg whites and egg yolks and set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add your whole milk, condensed milk, heavy cream, egg yolks, sugar, the caviar from the vanilla bean and your spices. With a large wire whisk, mix extremely well, until you start to see small bubble form around the edges of your bowl.
- Next, to a medium metal bowl add your egg whites. With a wire whisk, beat until you have soft peaks. Then, using a rubber spatula, fold your egg whites into your egg nog mixture. Once it is all combined pour into a covered container and refrigerate for a couple of hours. Your Egg Nog will last for about a week if kept refrigerated.
- Lastly, for the adults in the family you can add a shot of rum to each serving. Enjoy this traditional holiday drink with friends and family.