By Michael Harris-Arzon, The Simplistic Professional
Growing up, I had no clue what brunch was. I mean, to me it simply meant that you were eating breakfast at lunch time. It wasn’t until I moved to New York City and met my husband, Danny, that I realized it was a lifestyle moment.
For years, every Sunday morning, Danny and I would get up and take a leisurely walk across town to the West Village to a restaurant called Manatos. There we would spend the next few hours enjoying a wonderful brunch with friends. Each week I would try something different and simply enjoy the relaxing conversation of what was going on in each others lives at the time. Its a great way to catch up with old friends and learn about new ones.
- 1 Roasted Chicken
- 3 Avocados
- 1 Bunch Fresh Basil
- Whole Grain Bread, Sliced
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Pinch Salt
- Shred the breasts of your roasted chicken into small pieces.
- Take your avocados and place into a medium size mixing bowl. Mash with a fork, leaving small chunks. Add a pinch of salt and mix.
- Next, take your shredded chicken breast and mix into the mashed avocado.
- Lightly toast your slices of bread and let them cool.
- Spread a generous amount of your avocado and chicken mixture onto your slices of toast. Sprinkle cracked black pepper across the avocado.
- Finally, add a layer of fresh basil leaves and cut your slices of toast diagonally in half.
- The next time you host brunch, having this updated version of the classic avocado toast on your menu will be a pleasant surprise for your friends and family. Enjoy.