By Michael Harris-Arzon, The Simplistic Professional
There is nothing more Southern than Biscuits and Gravy. I make it as great as any other Southern Chef. I pride myself in this one dish. The combination of country gravy with hard fried eggs and Chicken Fried Steak is mouth watering to say the least. I typically won’t make it for breakfast because it is very filling and makes one want to take a nap afterwards. So late night dinner it is.
While I normally stay away from any fried foods and choose to go with baked options instead, this one exception exits because of that umami moment you get after that first perfect bite. You know what I mean, when you have a bit of everything on the fork and the flavors meld together so perfectly.
- 1 Lb. Pork Sausage, Medium Heat
- 1 Large Red Onion, Chopped Medium
- 2 Tbs. Butter, Salted
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 4 Cups Whole Milk
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Tbs. Cracked Black Pepper
- Biscuits, Homemade or Canned
- In a large pot melt your 2 tbs. of butter over medium-high heat and then add your chopped onions and pork sausage. Brown your sausage and onions.
- Once your sausage is browned (do not drain the grease) add your flour and mix well. Cook for a couple of minutes to cook out the raw flour taste. Then slowly add 1 cup of your milk while stirring vigorously to keep lumps from forming. Once incorporated, add the rest of your milk. Again stirring vigorously until combined.
- Lower your heat to medium, add your salt and cracked black pepper and cook until thickened. Be sure to stir regularly to keep your gravy from sticking, burning and forming lumps.
- Serve over biscuits, hard fried eggs and maybe a piece of chicken fried steak or even fried chicken.
- Enjoy this great, southern classic meal with your family and loved ones today.