By Michael Harris-Arzon, The Simplistic Professional
I have learned that a sandwich can be so much more than what your mother made you as a child. They are complete meals, wrapped in bread. I am also thrilled with the idea that my gourmet sandwich has the kids and Danny begging for more.
Now granted, there are times when I have to cook something for hours at a time, Roast Pork for instance. But I love cooking and spend hours at a time preparing ingredients.
- 2 Lbs. Prosciutto Di Parma
- 1 Wedge of Parmesan Cheese, Shaved
- 2 Red Bell Peppers
- 4 Heads of Garlic
- Olive Oil
- Cracked Pink Peppercorns, Assorted Peppercorns are fine if unavailable
- Sea Salt
- 4 Crusty Sandwich Rolls
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- With a large knife, cut off the pointed ends of each head of garlic. Place your heads of garlic in a small baking dish. Drizzle each head of garlic with olive oil, then sprinkle lightly with sea salt and your cracked pink peppercorns. Cooking Tip: Pink and Red Peppercorns are ideal for salads, desserts and dishes with sweet meats. The reason for this, is that they have a strong, fresh floral scent and taste profile compared to Black and White Peppercorns.
- Cover your baking dish with foil and set aside until you are ready to roast.
- Rinse your red, bell peppers in cool water. With a pairing knife, cut the top out of each pepper and remove the core, seeds and ribs.
- Rinse out the insides of each of your red, bell peppers to remove any excess seeds. Slice your peppers into 3/4″ to 1″ thick slices. Place your pepper slices onto a greased sheet pan in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and cracked peppercorns.
- Place the sheet of bell peppers on the top rack of your oven and the baking dish of garlic on the center rack.
- Roast for 45 minutes to an hour until the garlic is a dark, golden brown color and your red peppers are nice and tender.
- Once your garlic is roasted, remove from the oven. Using a pair of tongs, place each head of garlic on a small plate to cool.
- Cut each of your crusty, sandwich rolls down the center, not quite all the way through. Gently spread open each of your rolls.
- Take one head of garlic and squeeze our your roasted garlic onto one side of the sandwich roll. Spread evenly with a butter knife.
- Line each of your sandwich rolls with about 10 slices of Prosciutto Di Parma that have been gently folded. Cooking Tip: By folding your sandwich meats, you are adding air into the sandwich and thus bulking them up, to appear to have more meat than there actually is.
- Next, you want to add a healthy layer of shaved parmesan cheese.
- Finally, add strips of roasted, bell peppers to this updated, Spanish Classic sandwich.
- Serve with your favorite chips, fries or side salad and enjoy.