By Michael Harris-Arzon, The Simplistic Professional
I think I made and ate so much mac n cheese growing up that I started to hate it. Then, about 10 years ago I started playing around with the recipe and come up with a gourmet version that makes you eat seconds, whether you really want to or not. I am not kidding. It’s great for kids and adults alike.
But beware, if you have any dietary restrictions… this is not the recipe for you. But, oh so good. You will wish you had made a double batch and I challenge anyone out there to disagree.
P.S. This is also a great recipe for kids to help with!
- 1 Box Macaroni Noodles or ANY Short Noodle You Like
- 1 Lb. Ground Sausage, Your Choice
- 2 Cups of Whole Milk or Cream
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 2 Cups Italian Three Cheese Mix (Mozzarella, Provolone and Parmesan)
- 1 Container Blue Cheese Crumbles
- 1 Package French Fried Onions Or 1 Cup Seasoned Panko Bread Crumbs
- 3 Tbs. Flour
- 1 Large Red Onion, Diced Medium
- 2 Tbs. Cracked Black Pepper
- 3 Chicken or Beef Bullion Cubes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large stock pot, half filled with water. Add your bullion cubes and start to bring to a boil over a medium heat.
- Once your water comes to a medium boil, add a splash of olive oil and your box of pasta. Cook for 7-10 minutes over medium heat.
- In a large skillet, add a splash of olive oil your chopped onions and ground sausage. Cook over medium-high heat until sausage is browned. Reduce heat to medium.
- Sprinkle your 3 tbs. flour over the sausage mixture and cook for 2 minutes to remove to flour taste. While stirring vigorously, pour your milk or cream into the skillet. Cooking Tip: Make sure to scrape the bottom and stir quickly to avoid lumps.
- Add your shredded, cheddar cheese, cracked black pepper and cook until cheese is melted. Immediately remove from the heat.
- Once your pasta is cooked to the al dente stage, turn off the heat and drain in a colander and pour back into your stock pot. Add your sausage and cheese sauce mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Add your 3 Italian Cheeses and Blue cheese and mix until combine.
- Pour into a large casserole dish. Sprinkle your bread crumbs or French Fried Onions across the top.
- Place on the center shelf of your preheated oven and cook for 10 minutes, until bubbly and top is getting golden brown.
- Remove and serve with your favorite side dishes.
- Enjoy this gourmet, updated American Classic!