By Michael Harris-Arzon, The Simplistic Professional and Avril Arzon
Besides introducing your kids to a new vegetable, this recipe is so kid friendly that kids 5-6 and up can make on their own…with adult supervision of course.
We had originally planned to start with our Simply Kids Video series, but as many know tech doesn’t always cooperate and YouTube has been challenging for our new channel. But Avril Arzon, the Co-Host of Simply kids insisted on making dinner her way. Gotta love those kids of mine.
Many of the Simply Kids recipes require canned and boxed foods for the simple fact that at the lower ages they aren’t ready for knife work, My daughter Avril, whom is 10, is still leery of using a knife. Every kid is different and you have to determine what your child’s comfort level is.
- I box of Shell Pasta
- 1 Can Carrots
- 1 Jar Pasta Sauce
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- 3 Tbs. Italian Seasoning
- 1 Lb. Asparagus
- Black Forrest Ham, Sliced
- Olive Oil
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Help your child fill a stock pot halfway with water. Add a couple dashes of salt. Bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- While their water is boiling. Help your child cut the ends off of your asparagus stems. They tend to dry out and be woody. Cooking With Kids Tips: This is a great opportunity for you to talk about knife safety and show your kids the proper way to hold a knife.
- Wrap two pieces of asparagus with a piece of ham, centered. Then place on a buttered sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cracked black pepper.
- Place in a the preheated oven on the top rack, for about 8 minutes. Cooking With Kids Tips: Perfect time to talk to your kids about wearing oven mitts and how hot the oven is. Remove from the oven and set aside until ready to serve with a pair of tongues.
- Once water comes to medium boil, have your child, gently, pour the box of pasta into the pot. Stir with a wooden spoon. Cooking With Kids Tip: Depending on your child’s size, have them step on a step stool to reach the oven top at a comfortable height.
- When your pasta is done, drain into a colander, I wouldn’t recommend letting your child do this.
- Pour your pasta back into the large pot. Have your child add the canned carrots and pasta sauce. Lower the heat to low and have your child stir the pasta, sauce and carrots until it is warm.
- Add your 3 tbs. of Italian seasoning and cheddar cheese. Let your child stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Turn off the heat.
- Serve you pasta and wrapped asparagus with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Enjoy this dish that your child helped prepare and watch their sense of achievement grow.